Top of Page
and Wineham Cricket Club have been entertaining Mid Sussex for well
over a hundred years, and hope to be going strong in another hundred
years, most likely with many of the current players. Indeed,
though few of their older players are mentioned by name, John
Major in his book on the history of the game, tells of a "very strong club at Ockenden Farm between the villages of Cowfoeld and Twineham playing between 1798 and 1811.
At a match in August 1807 the "County" shows Cowfold and Twineham with
"Silver Billy" Beldham in its team, as well as the famous all-rounder
William Lambert and the long-hitting civil servant EH Budd, one of the
leading amateur batsmen of the day. The Cowfold and Twineham club
disappears in 1811 without apparent reason, and was never reformed."
reformed with Cowfold, maybe, but in 1893 the separate parishes of
Twineham and Wineham resolved that their cricket clubs should merge and
Twineham and Wineham Cricket Club has been putting ball on bat ever
In 2021 TWCC were extremely pleased, and grateful, to be able to occupy
their new pavilion, and although visiting traditionalists may miss the
exterior facilities, they can, for old times' sake, always undertake to
miss the internal ones.
Village cricket is sometimes, from those who, maybe, consider such an accomodating approach to the game to be somewhat beneath
them, referred to in rather derogatory terms, but Twineham and
Wineham Cricket Club are proud to welcome visiting teams to their
wonderful ground where they can be assured of a warm welcome as they
play this wonderful game with all village traditions intact.